- Lead Institute Introduces Early RegistrationPosted 20 hours ago
- Over eleven hundred students to sit Grade Six National AssessmentPosted 1 day ago
- Tradewinds 2013 Kicks off in St. LuciaPosted 2 days ago
- US Embassy Supports Education in DominicaPosted 9 days ago
- Prime Minister Skerrit Ties the KnottPosted 11 days ago
- EXclusive: PM Skerrit With 60 Percent Approval RatingPosted 69 days ago
- ECCO Signs Copyright Licence Agreement with SATPosted 70 days ago
- Castle Bruce’s KAYYO Opens for Meek Mill in US ConcertPosted 70 days ago
- Judgement of Court of Appeal Expected MondayPosted 73 days ago
- Dominica Declares National Day of MourningPosted 78 days ago
Eliud Williams Sworn in As Dominica’s Seventh President
His Excellency, Eliud Thaddeus Williams was sworn in as Dominica’s ninth President earlier today at a ceremony held at the Parliament building.
Williams replaced former President Dr. Nicholas Liverpool.
The oath of office was administered by His Lordship, the Honourable Justice Brian Cottle, Resident Judge, designated by the Chief Justice of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (Ag.), Her Ladyship the Honourable Justice Janice Pereira.
Included among the dignitaries at today’s ceremony were the prime minister, ministers of government, former presidents, the speaker and members of the House of Assembly, members of the diplomatic corps and members of the Williams family.
Williams was elected President of Dominica by the House of Assembly on Monday 17th September, 2012 in accordance with the provisions of section 19 of the Constitution.
The 64-year old Williams comes to the office of President after a long and distinguished career in the public service of Dominica and in service to the region, culminating in his appointment as Permanent Secretary from 1987 to 2004. From 2004 to 2008, he was Managing Director of the Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications Authority (ECTEL). Prior to his appointment as Permanent Secretary, Mr. Williams served as Commissioner of Cooperatives from 1985 to 1987.
Williams holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree (with distinction) from the University of the West Indies and membership in many professional bodies, including the Chartered Management Institute, the Institute of Financial Accountants (UK) and the International Management Associates Network (Can.).
President Williams is married and has two sons. His wife, Cornelia has been Managing Consultant at WHITCO, Inc. a business consulting firm.