- Lead Institute Introduces Early RegistrationPosted 4 days ago
- Over eleven hundred students to sit Grade Six National AssessmentPosted 4 days ago
- Tradewinds 2013 Kicks off in St. LuciaPosted 5 days ago
- US Embassy Supports Education in DominicaPosted 12 days ago
- Prime Minister Skerrit Ties the KnottPosted 14 days ago
- EXclusive: PM Skerrit With 60 Percent Approval RatingPosted 72 days ago
- ECCO Signs Copyright Licence Agreement with SATPosted 73 days ago
- Castle Bruce’s KAYYO Opens for Meek Mill in US ConcertPosted 73 days ago
- Judgement of Court of Appeal Expected MondayPosted 76 days ago
- Dominica Declares National Day of MourningPosted 81 days ago
The DLP Calls On All Patriots To Rally Around Dr. Etinne’s Election
The Dominica Labour Party has congratulated Dr. Carissa Etienne on her election to the position of Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).
It also extended congratulations to Etienne’s family, home community of Massacare, the Ministry of Health, the government of Dominica, and Caricom for their role in her election.
The DLP said in an official press statement today that it was “especially proud of the leading role played by …Prime Minister Skerrit” in Dr. Etienne’s election
Dr. Etienne, who currently serves as Assistant Director General, Health Systems and Services at the World Health Organization in Geneva, will begin her five-year term on 1 February 2013. She will succeed Dr. Mirta Roses Periago of Argentina.
The DLP said that Dr. Etienne’s election as Director of PAHO is a moment of great pride for Dominica.
“Dr. Etienne’s election to the top position of this hemispheric body, which is the oldest international organization focusing on public health, brings tremendous pride to all Dominicans and should therefore serve as a unifying moment for all of us” the statement said.
Thus in light of the celebration of Dominica’s 34th anniversary of political independence and “with a view to further cementing our bonds of nationhood, the Dominica Labour Party, calls on “all patriots and patriotic organizations to do the same”.